Coit snags fourth-career Huskie of the Week honor

Eddie Miller
A graphic shows junior guard David Coit as the Huskie of the Week. Coit scored a career-high 35 points against the University of Akron on Saturday. (Eddie Miller | Northern Star)

DeKALB – A career-high 35 points against the MAC-leading University of Akron Zips helped NIU junior guard David Coit earn his second Huskie of the Week honor of 2023-24. 

Coit’s 35 points tied Bowling Green State University junior guard Marcus Hill for the most points by any MAC player this season.

Prior to his career day against Akron, a 27-point performance in an upset win at the University of Toledo Rockets brought Coit’s scoring average to 31 points per game for the week. Coit also averaged 4 rebounds per game, 4 assists per game and 1.5 steals per game as the Huskies split with the MAC’s two best teams. 

Coit was also named the MAC Player of the Week for the first time in his career and became the 33rd NIU men’s basketball player to reach 1,000 career points. The 5-foot-11 guard joined Jim Bradley, Kenny Battle and Xavier Silas as the only Huskies to accomplish the feat in just two seasons.

Coit has now scored 25 or more points in four straight games, eclipsing the 25-point mark nine times this season. Coit’s monster week bumped his scoring average to 20.5 per game, good for third in the MAC and tied for 23rd in the nation

The Huskies will play their final home game Tuesday at 7 p.m. at the Convocation Center against the Central Michigan University Chippewas. The game will be streamed on ESPN+ and live stats will be available via SIDEARM Stats

Next week’s Huskie of the Week will be announced on March 11.

The Northern Star sports section’s Huskie of the Week is voted for on a weekly basis. Student-athletes considered for this week’s edition were chosen based on their weekly performance in competitions taking place from March 4 to March 10