Superior sequels better than originals

Batman stands in front of a burning Batman signal in a poster for “The Dark Knight.” There are several sequel movies that triumph over the first films. (Courtesy of Flickr)

“Dune: Part Two,” sequel to the 2021 film “Dune,” is being titled by many as the best sci-fi movie of all time.

So, in honor of this new sci-fi masterpiece, here’s a list of some more sequel films better than the original.

“Evil Dead II”

The second installment of an iconic horror trilogy directed by Sam Raimi, “Evil Dead II,” also known as “Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn,” is considered a remake and sequel of “The Evil Dead.”

Ash Williams (Bruce Campbell) is staying at a cabin in the woods with his girlfriend when he discovers an audio tape reciting passages from the “Book of the Dead” that unleashes demons to torment him.

Raimi takes the gore, humor and campiness from the first film and cranks it up to a hundred.

There’s a lot of blood and over-the-top acting that makes this movie such a fun watch for horror and comedy fans.

“Addams Family Values”

“Addams Family Values,” directed by Barry Sonnenfeld, follows the Addams after Gomez (Raul Julia) and Morticia (Anjelica Huston) celebrate the birth of their new baby boy. 

Their children, Wednesday (Christina Ricci) and Pugsley (Jimmy Workman), try to kill the baby, so a nanny named Debbie (Joan Cusack) is hired to look after the newborn.

It has a better story and better performances compared to the first movie. Without better performances and better story, we wouldn’t have iconic scenes, like when Wednesday takes over the Thanksgiving play or when Debbie kidnaps the Addams.

This sequel is automatically better than “The Addams Family” because it stars Cusack. 

She fits perfectly with the other characters and at moments outshines the kooky family. Debbie thinks she’s the only normal one out of the Addams family, but, in reality, is as weird as the rest of them.

“Spider-Man 2”

I am a sucker for a good Raimi movie – which in my mind is all of them – but “Spider-Man 2” takes the cake as a better film when compared to “Spider-Man.”

In this movie, Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) has to deal with his fading powers and self-doubt as he starts drifting away from his friends Harry Osborn (James Franco) and Mary Jane Watson (Kirsten Dunst). All of this is happening at the same time a metal tentacled villain named Doc Ock (Alfred Molina) is seeking revenge on Spider-Man after an accidental failed experiment kills his wife.

It has the perfect combination of great action sequences, character arcs and a sprinkle of campiness from Raimi’s directing.

“Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Directed by James Cameron, “Terminator 2: Judgment Day” is set over 10 years after the events of the first installment and follows a young John Connor (Edward Furlong) whois saved by a T-800 Terminator (Arnold Schwarzenegger) after a shape-shifting T-1000 (Robert Patrick) is sent from the future to kill him. 

Sarah Connor (Linda Hamilton), John’s mother, is transformed from the first movie into a strong and highly capable character in the second movie.

There’s also the T-800 switching sides from the previous film’s antagonist to one of the protagonists in the sequel and iconic lines like “hasta la vista, baby.”

“The Dark Knight”

This is the best comic book-adapted superhero movie ever made.

I know it’s a basic opinion to have about “The Dark Knight,” but it’s for a good reason.

With the help of Lieutenant Jim Gordon (Gary Oldman) and District Attorney Harvey Dent (Aaron Eckhart), Batman (Christian Bale) sets out to take down the remaining crime organizations in Gotham; however, this alliance finds themselves to be the targets of a new criminal in the city called the Joker (Heath Ledger).

Director Christopher Nolan is able to keep viewers interested and on the edge of their seats throughout the film’s entire runtime.