Campus ministry awards students

By Tricia Roegner

In recognition of outstanding service to the Newman Catholic Student Center, five NIU students have been awarded the 1991 Reverend John W. Vaughn Scholarship.

“Because of their exemplary service to the Newman Center, they were deemed worthy of this award,” said Father Stephen Potter, pastor of the Newman Center.

The five recipients are Lynne Ditzler, Gina Farella, Yvette Joseph, Andy Rollins and Dan Templin.

Each recipient of the scholarship was awarded $200 and a certificate, along with their names added to the Vaughn award plaque outside the Newman library.

“It was a great honor to be recognized by the Newman Center because it truly is a great place to be involved in,” said senior Dan Templin, who served as spiritual enrichment coordinator during the year.

Recipient Lynne Ditzler said the Newman Center enriched her life while at NIU.

“The center has really helped me grow as a person,” Ditzler said, adding that Father Potter has served as a role model.

The five recipients are required to be junior, senior or graduate students and someone who has made considerable contributions to the Newman Center, Potter said.

The Vaughn award is named after a priest in the diocese of Rockford who left money in his will to honor students who contributed to the campus ministry.

“Reverend Vaughn put a great deal of importance into campus ministry,” Potter said.