Ranking NIU Athletics’ Top 10 moments of the academic year

Eddie Miller
A graphic depicts white lettering in front of various moments from NIU Athletics’ season. The Northern Star Sports Staff compiled its top-10 moments from the academic year. (Eddie Miller | Northern Star)

DeKALB – NIU Athletics’ eventful 2023-24 has had many moments to remember, but unfortunately, the Northern Star Sports Staff only has the word count space to talk about 10 of them.

Here are the top 10 moments from all NIU sports so far this academic year.

HONORABLE MENTION: ANTARIO BROWN’S EXPLOSION VS AKRON

Junior running back Antario Brown’s historic 280-yard and four touchdown performance in just two and a half quarters against the University of Akron on Oct. 7, 2023 earns an honorable mention. 

In addition to single-game career highs, Brown notched his first MAC West Offensive Player of the Week honor and had the 12th most single game rushing yards in program history.

No. 10: MEN’S SOCCER REACHES SEMIFINALS IN FIRST SEASON OF MVC TOURNAMENT

After beating the Bowling Green State University Falcons in the last match of the regular season to qualify for the Missouri Valley Conference Tournament, the Huskies defeated the Falcons again in the quarterfinals to advance to the semifinals against Western Michigan University. 2023 was NIU’s first season since joining the MVC.

In the semifinal match, the Huskies scored first and held the lead until the 82nd minute. In overtime, NIU conceded two more goals, leading to its elimination from the tournament. Senior goalkeeper Jakub Rojek notched 9 saves, and NIU’s lone goal was scored by junior forward Zachariah Thomas. 

No. 9: WOMEN’S SOCCER CLINCHES MAC TOURNAMENT

NIU women’s soccer clinched its first MAC Tournament berth since 2017 following a win over Central Michigan University on Oct. 22, 2023. The Huskies also secured their first season at or above .500 since 2008 when they finished 10-6-5.

Senior forward Kierah Meier scored NIU’s only goal of the game and redshirt senior goalkeeper Sadie McGill recorded six saves on 22 shots faced to lead the Huskies to a 1-0 victory.

No. 8: EMILY ROMANCEW WINS NAU RED ROCKS INVITATIONAL

Senior Emily Romancew notched the first tournament victory of her career at the NAU Red Rocks Invitational on March 17. The first-place finish earned Romancew MAC Golfer of the Week honors. 

Romancew opened the tournament with a one-under par score of 71 in the first round and finished the second round with a score of 72. Romancew logged her tournament low in the third round, logging 70 strokes.

No. 7: ARIANNA CALLOWAY SETS HIGH JUMP RECORD

Freshman Arianna Calloway opened her collegiate career at NIU by setting a new record at NIU in the high jump. Calloway cleared the mark of 1.80 meters on her third and final attempt at the Blue & Gold Invitational on Dec. 1, 2023.

The previous record of 1.77 meters at the Illini Classic was held by former Huskie Chennel Palmer since Jan. 16, 2016.

No. 6: WOMEN’S BASKETBALL DEFEATS BALL STATE IN OVERTIME

NIU women’s basketball delivered Ball State University one of its four losses of the regular season on Feb. 7. Ball State’s only other losses came against MAC No. 1 seed University of Toledo and the nationally ranked programs of University of Connecticut and University of Notre Dame.

The Huskies shot 45.3% from the field on the night and went 8-for-10 on free throws in overtime to secure a 76-71 win at home.

No. 5: CAITLYN SHUMAKER SETS NIU’S STOLEN BASES RECORD

With her first steal in NIU softball’s 5-2 victory over Kent State University on Saturday, senior infielder Caitlyn Shumaker recorded the 60th stolen base of her NIU career.

Shumaker has stolen 61 bases in 112 career games as a Huskie to take ownership of NIU’s career stolen bases record held by Jill Richardson (59) since 2000.

No. 4: COIT SCORES 1000 CAREER POINTS AND BREAKS NIU SINGLE SEASON THREE-POINT RECORD

Junior guard David Coit surpassed the 1000 career point mark against the University of Akron Zips on March 2 en route to a then career-high 35 point performance. Coit also became the 33rd player to record 1000 points as a Huskie and just the fourth to do so in two seasons. 

In the Huskies’ next game against the Central Michigan University Chippewas on March 5, Coit knocked down his 88th three-pointer of the season, passing former guard Eugene German’s school record of 87 in the 2018-19 season. Coit finished the 2023-24 season with 94 made three-pointers.

No. 3: GYMNASTICS POSTS BEST-EVER TEAM SCORE IN TENNESSEE

The NIU gymnastics team achieved its highest team score in program history at the Tennessee Collegiate Classic on Jan. 19. The Huskies scored 196.400 as a team as eight gymnasts recorded new personal bests.

Senior Alyssa Al-Ashari earned one of her many bars victories of 2024 with a 9.925 at the meet. Sophomore Kiera O’Shea and freshman Dawsyn Sallee placed second on vault and floor, respectively. 

No. 2: FOOTBALL DEFEATS ARKANSAS STATE IN CAMELLIA BOWL

NIU football won its first bowl game since the 2011 season, taking down the Arkansas State University Red Wolves 21-19 Dec. 23. The 2023 Camellia Bowl was the Huskies’ first bowl victory since a 38-20 victory in the 2012 GoDaddy.com Bowl, snapping a streak of seven consecutive bowl game losses.

Redshirt senior quarterback Rocky Lombardi threw for 200 yards and scored two total touchdowns and junior running back Antario Brown ran for 132 yards, leading the Huskies to victory. Despite missing two field goals, redshirt sophomore kicker Kanon Woodill caught the Red Wolves defense off guard, scoring a touchdown on a fake field goal.

No. 1: WRESTLING CLINCHES MAC WEST TITLE

Late meet heroics completed NIU wrestling’s conquest for the MAC West division title with a 22-13 victory over Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Feb. 23. 

After Southern Illinois University Edwardsville erased NIU’s 16-6 advantage, redshirt sophomore and ranked heavyweight Jacobi Jackson stopped the bleeding with a dual-clinching pin 1:33 into the opening period.