SA salutes NIU soldiers

By Rebecca Bahr

NIU’s Student Association is looking for names of alumni and students serving in the Gulf for what they call Operation Huskie Salute.

“It is hard for us to remember that we have friends and family fighting a war as we go about our day-to-day business of attending classes,” said SA Public Relations Adviser Lara Cipolla.

The SA plans to put the three empty flagpoles that stand near the southwest corner of the Holmes Student Center into action, Cipolla said.

“We plan to recognize those men and women from the NIU community at an official ceremony later this semester,” said Sen. Bob Geaschel.

“We are going to dedicate an American flag to NIU students and alumni fighting in the war,” Geaschel said.

Two of the three flagpoles are not operational right now, but might be after spring break, Geaschel said.

If so, then three flags might fly: “One representing our university, one representing our state and one representing our nation,” Cipolla said.

SA Sen. Young Kim is getting information about troops from NIU.

im said he plans to kick off a university-wide letter-writing campaign and other activities to support local troops.

Already on the list is former SA Sen. Daryl Jones. Jones left NIU in August when he was called to active duty as part of Operation Desert Shield. He is still overseas.

Students and faculty who know of anyone to add to the list should contact the SA office this week.

“We are only looking for a name, the soldier’s branch in the service and major at the university,” Kim said. For alumni, the graduation year is helpful, Kim said.