Assistance for financial aid available

By Jean Dobrzynski

Believe it or not, long lines and hassles can be avoided when students are dealing with financial aid forms.

February has been designated Financial Aid Awareness Month and it is being cosponsored by the Illinois Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators, Inc. and the Illinois Student Assistance Commission.

“The purpose of this month is to encourage more students to apply for financial aid on time and accurately so that they can avoid unnecessary delays,” said Donna Martin, NIU financial aid counselor.

Martin said March 1 is the priority deadline for FAF, but applications are still accepted afterwards.

“If students apply before the priority deadline their applications will be processed before school starts,” Martin said. “If they apply afterwards, their application will take longer to process and aid will only be distributed if funds are still available.”

On Feb. 4_8 tables will be set up in the west end of the Pow Wow from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. to hand out 1991-92 FAF and to answer general questions that students might have.

On Feb. 11_14 and 18_21 tables will be set up for the same purpose in the residence halls from 4 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. in a central location yet to be decided.

On Feb. 5, 6 and 7 there will be financial aid representatives giving half-hour presentations in Room 506 of the Holmes Student Center beginning at 7:30 p.m. Questions from the audience will be answered until 9 p.m.

A financial aid toll-free hotline is being offered during the week of Feb. 11_15. Students and parents may call the hotline for assistance between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m.

Martin said ISAC is sponsoring the hotline and it can be used for general questions or to find out the status of the grant they will receive from the Illinois State Monetary Award Program.