BOR reviews last plans

By Sabryna Cornish and Vickie Snow

The Board of Regents will examine various projects at its last meeting of the semester.

One will be NIU’s compliance with minorities and women in business, said Cheryl Peck, assistant to Regents Chancellor Roderick Groves.

The Minority and Female Business Enterprise Act (MAFBEA), formed in 1989, “requires at least 10 percent of the total dollar amount of state contracts as defined by the MAFBEA council shall be a goal for contracts awarded to minority and female-owned businesses,” Peck said.

“NIU needs to be aware of doing business with minorities and women in business,” she said.

At the Academic Student Affairs Committee, there will be a staff analysis of the universities’ Report on Undergraduate Education, she said, which includes graduation rates and minority retention.

NIU Associate Provost Lou Jean Moyer will give a report on related efforts at NIU, said NIU Provost Kendall Baker.

The committee is expected to follow up on work-study programs in higher education, she said.

The board also will look into a controversial issue at Illinois State University. ISU began a contract with Service Master that forced dozens of workers to protest against continuation of the contract at the September board meeting.

The Chancellor’s staff and Illinois Board of Higher Education budgeting and planning issues also will be discussed, Peck said.

At the Finance and Facilities Committee, NIU’s computer purchases will be discussed, Peck said. NIU President John La Tourette will “give an overview of where NIU is at this point in the purchasing of the computers,” Peck said.

Last June, the board approved various computer and software vendors for a total expenditure to stay under $1.5 million. NIU will seek the board’s permission to add vendors and increase the total possible expense.

The meetings are Wednesday and Thursday in the Holmes Student Center. Wednesday’s meeting begins at 1 p.m. in the Heritage Room and Thursday’s voting session starts at 9 a.m. in the Sky Room.

The board governs NIU, ISU in Normal and Sangamon State University in Springfield.