Professor’s research work recognized by CPA society

By Rebecca Bahr

An NIU accountancy professor received a $3,000 grant from the Illinois CPA Society for his award-winning research work.

Professor Kurt Reding will be honored at the Illinois CPA Society Awards Banquet in Chicago Oct. 17 for his project on the effects of learning styles and preferences on entry level accountants and their decision-making ability.

The study, which will be submitted for publication in the coming month, is based on tests administered to more than 100 NIU students in accountancy and more than 250 liberal arts majors, Reding said.

Reding was one of approximately eight Illinois professors chosen to recieve the CPA Society’s award, a spokesman from the organization said. The grant was awarded based on the probability that the research will be directly beneficial to the accounting profession, particularly in Illinois.

The grant program is designed with an interest in promoting research in accounting by faculty and students at Illinois universities and colleges.

Reding received his bachelor’s degree from Trinity Christian College and his master’s degree in accountancy from NIU. He received his doctorate from University of Tennessee in 1988, and is an Illinois certified CPA.

He taught accounting at NIU in the early ‘80s, and returned to the university in January of 1988 to continue his teaching as a professor.

He is the author of several articles in various accounting publications and is involved in past and present research activities within the field.