Buckner chosen for new associate vice president position

By Marc Alberts

The Student Affairs office announced that NIU Housing Director Donald Buckner will be the new associate vice president of Student Affairs.

“I was very pleased to receive the appointment,” Buckner said. He plans to continue to “enhance the quality of student life,” at NIU, he said.

Student Affairs Vice President Barbara Henley said his experience working with other NIU departments was a deciding factor in her final selection of Buckner. Buckner has served as special assistant to Henley since last fall.

Renley said the search for candidates from other schools was necessary because “you always (have) the possibility of running into someone who’s done it all.”

Renley also emphasized Buckner has demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity and aiding the retention of students within the Student Affairs Office.

Buckner said Associate Housing Director Jack Felver will continue running the daily routine of the housing department. Felver has been handling the day-to-day operation of Housing since Buckner took the special assistant job, he said.

Buckner said he will continue to oversee the housing department in a supervisory role through at least September.

The Student Affairs Office will be seeking a new Housing Director “as soon as possible”, said Buckner. A search committee will be formed soon for a nationwide search, Henley said.

Renley said the nationwide search is necessary due to the fact that the open position in housing is at a directorship level.

Buckner was chosen from a final list of four applicants. The other three finalists were Michael Cuyjet from the University from Maryland, Sharon Policello from Ithaca College and Thomas Risch from Southeast Missouri State University.