Disabled students to voice opinions

By Mark Gates

Students with disabilities who are unable to use NIU facilities will have a chance to air their complaints to the university next week.

George Shur, University Legal Counsel and liason between NIU President John La Tourette and The Presidential Commission on Persons With Disabilities, said the purpose of the hearings is to try to identify problems.

owever, “we’re not going to solve them next week. This will be the beginning of a long process” to solve NIU’s accessibility problems, Shur said.

The hearings will be open to the public and held Monday from 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. and Tuesday from 8:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center’s Heritage Room and Thursday from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. in the Capitol Room.

The 16-member commission, comprised of students, faculty and staff members, was formed by La Tourette to address problems facing people with disabilities, Shur said.

Sue Reinhardt, coordinator of NIU’s Services for Disabled Students and commission member, said there are students with disabilities on the commission formed last semester.

Individuals with disabilities who come to the hearings with specific needs will be informed about available services, said Gary Gresholdt, committee chairman.