Candidates nominated for search committee

By Nissin Behar

The University Council Executive Secretary will nominate two NIU faculty members to serve on the Vice President for Student Affairs search committee at Wednesday’s Faculty Assembly meeting.

The meeting will be held in the Holmes Student Center at 3 p.m. in Room 505.

Executive Secretary J. Carroll Moody’s nominations for the search committee are Marian Frerichs, associate chairman of the School of Nursing, and William Monat, former Board of Regents Chancellor and NIU president. Thirteen people will eventually make up the search committee, Moody said.

The Board of Regents governs NIU, Illinois State University in Normal and Sangamon State University in Springfield.

Kathy Hotelling, director of NIU Counseling and Student Development and Don Buckner, NIU director of Student Housing, already have been named to the search committee.

Another item that will be discussed at the meeting includes Student Association President Huda Scheidelman’s proposal of an SA liaison to the Faculty Assembly.

In addition, new business will include changes in policies that deal with requiring the transfer of hard copies of journals to microfilm and microfische at Founders Memorial Library.

NIU faculty members have written and called Moody opposing this change. Most faculty members want to know if the library is going to retain copies of journals in bound volumes, he said.

Excellence in Teaching Awards from the Undergraduate Coordinating Council will also be considered. Proposed changes include making the one time monetary award as part of the base salary.

“There probably won’t be discussion of these things at the Faculty Assembly meeting,” Moody said. “They will all go to a particular committee.”