Board to vote on changes

By Joe Bush

Though the main event of the Board of Regents two-day stay at NIU will be the vote Thursday on the final modifications to the controversial proposed policy changes, there are other items on the card.

Today, two board committee meetings will be held in different rooms of the Holmes Student Center. All item voting will take place Thursday. All meetings are open to the public.

The Regents govern NIU, Illinois State University at Normal and Sangamon State University at Springfield.

Besides the policy changes that are expected to pass, action items recommended for approval by Chancellor Roderick Groves relevant to NIU include: a $211,730 College of Business request to continue off-campus leases at three locations in the western suburbs used for Executive MBA and MBA training and a $300,000 request for planning and construction of a 6,600 square foot graduate teaching assistant residence building at the Lorado Taft Campus.

The College of Business hopes to continue its leases with the AT&T Hickory Ridge facility in Lisle, Ill., for the EMBA program, and Hewlett Packard facilities in Naperville, Ill., and Motorola facilities in Schaumburg, Ill., for the MBA program. Current and projected enrollment figures dictate an increase in both programs.

The programs compete with about 23 other MBA programs in the western suburbs including Northwestern University’s and the University of Chicago’s.

The resident facilities at the Lorado Taft Campus in Oregon, Ill., were built in the early 1950s and are in various states of disrepair, including sewage, heating, ventilation and safety problems. NIU has concluded it would be more economical to build a new structure than to renovate. The proposed building will have 18 private rooms and one conference room.

To be discussed as information items will be the Regency System 1989 fall semester enrollment figures as well as analysis of enrollment throughout the 1980s and review of institutional plans to improve the participation and achievement of underrepresented groups, including women, disabled persons and minorities.

Meeting times

Today’s committee meetings are as follows:

1:30 p.m.—Finance and Faculty Committee in the Illinois Room

2:30 p.m.—Academic and Student Affairs Committee in Room 405 of the Student Center Tower

Thursday, Oct. 19 at 9:00 a.m.—Public Meeting of the Board of Regents in the Regency Room