SA to send letter about REG cases

By Matt James

Student Association senators voted unanimously Sunday to send a letter to the University Council voicing the senate’s displeasure that students might lose their right to appeal cases of illegal class registration.

Also Sunday, SA Vice President Gregg Bliss outlined increases that might be implemented in the bond revenue and health center fees next year.

The senate’s letter to the council is in response to the council’s discussion about possible changes that would take illegal class registration cases out of the jurisdiction of the Judicial Code, which would in turn take away a student’s option to appeal a guilty sentence.

The proposed changes were submitted by faculty members after more than 100 NIU students illegally registered into spring 1988 classes using a fraudulent “REG” stamp.

In the senate’s letter, Senate Speaker Joe Annunzio states that the SA is “vehemently against the elimination of any appeal rights that students have,” and that “no changes be made that would systematically treat all offenders alike.”

SA Sen. Tom Link said the letter is “not supportive of REG stamp violators. It’s not to give them a break—it’s just the SA saying that students should have the right to appeal (Judicial Code decisions). It’s a fundamental civil right.”

“There’s going to be strong debate on this issue,” he said. “As a member of the University Council, I think this letter is exactly what they’re looking for and what they need.”

The bond revenue fee and health center fee increases mentioned Sunday by Bliss are in the discussion stages and might be implemented next year.

Bliss said the Bond Revenue Fee Committee is considering a total bond revenue fee increase of 70 cents per credit hour to cover the following expenses: 50 cents for increased operational costs at the Holmes Student Center; 15 cents a year for the next 10 years to cover the $750,000 of overbidding to reclad the student center tower; and 5 cents toward an estimated price of $650,000 to replace astroturf in Huskie Stadium.

“It’s evident that the student center is starting to show its 25 years of age,” Bliss said. He added that an analysis made of Huskie Stadium astroturf showed that the turf will last only about one more year.

“That will be a realistic expense over the next few years,” Bliss said. “The situation isn’t going to get any better.”

He said the fee committee will make a decision regarding the fee increase “within a few weeks.”

Bliss said the health center might see a $1.3 million deficit over the next three years if no increase is made in the health center fee. But, he added, in efforts to reduce student fee increases, the health center is looking at ways of cutting down services and reviewing the viability of the services it offers.

“The health center will see a deficit of about $200,000 next year,” Bliss said. “You don’t get $1 million by cutting out band aids and aspirin.”