Leaders receive ominous notes

By Sean Noble

Anonymous letters threatening racist actions on campus during this semester were sent to five NIU administrators and student leaders last month.

Jon Dalton, vice president for student affairs, was quoted in a press release dated Jan. 12 as saying, “Just before Christmas … anonymous letters were received by the (university) president, the university legal counsel and myself, threatening that there would be more incidents this spring.”

NIU president John La Tourette said the letters were “extremely offensive in tone and content.”

He said the note he received made “general threats concerning the disrupting of campus activities during the month of February, which is Black History Month.”

LaTourette said his assistant, Kenneth Beasley, also received one of the notes. Beasley and University Legal Counsel Director George Shur could not be reached for comment.

Student Association President Jim Fischer said he also got a copy of the racist letter. Fischer said he is “meeting now with other students and student organizations” to discuss the threat.

LaTourette and Dalton both said the letters have been turned over to the post office for investigation. LaTourette also said he would try to use means, legally or through the university, to curtail racist actions by anyone identified as the writer.

Dalton said, “I don’t want to overplay this (situation). But the writer of the letter may be someone who is disturbed and angry, venting their feelings.”

LaTourette agreed, saying prank letters to university officials are not unusual.

The racist threats came at a time when NIU was developing a series of responses to discriminatory acts last year. In one incident, copies of a racist newspaper printed in Marietta, Ga., were distributed to students off campus.

“Something like this only strengthens our resolve in this year’s theme of Unity Through Diversity,” LaTourette said, referring to the recent university anti-racist programs’ theme. “We can set the proper tone and just hope that the majority of people will be supportive of our efforts.”