Student wins $1000 prize in local bank’s promotion

By Katrina Kelly

A NIU student won $1,000 last month in the grand prize drawing of The DeKalb Bank’s “Jackpot Promotion.”

John Hevrdejs, a junior from Woodridge, Ill., majoring in business management, received word of his windfall on Nov. 20.

“I will probably use the money for Christmas and spring break,” he said. “A lot of it will be spending money.”

Bernie Graham, business development officer for the bank, said, “I was glad to see that an NIU student won. It is a good time for it—with tuition payments and other expenses coming up.

“We wanted students to feel more comfortable with the (automatic teller) machines and to realize where they are.”

Several thousand dollars were awarded during the 45-day promotion, Graham said. Instant cash prizes of $50 and $100 were given at random to Money Network machine users between Oct. 1 and Nov. 15. Instant winners then were able to register for the $1,000 grand prize drawing.

evrdejs won his $100 instant cash prize on Oct. 29 at the Money Network machine outside of the Village Commons Bookstore.

Bank President Dewey Yaeger said it was the bank’s first ATM promotion since they installed the machines several years ago. “Our purpose was to increase people’s awareness of the ATMs and their usage,” he said.

evrdejs said he uses his Money Network card a lot. “It is more convenient than checking,” he said. He has had his cash card for about two years.

Graham said the promotion was established through the Rock Valley banking network, which also distributes the Money Network service to banks in Rochelle, Sycamore and Malta. A similar promotion might occur next year, Graham said, depending on agreement by the other banks in the network.