DeKalb defined by Cornfest

By Ryan Janovic

DeKALB — Residents of DeKalb and neighboring towns gathered Friday for the 40th anniversary of Cornfest where men, women, children and dogs of all sizes were able to enjoy the food and atmosphere that embodies the town.

The smell of burgers and ribs sizzling on the grill wafted through the air upon entering the fest. A weekend long event, Cornfest brings the community together in a small-town kind of way, capturing the feel-good mood of DeKalb.

In addition to food and beer, the festival had many family friendly attractions as well. Children bombarded the ferris wheel, competed for toys and prizes at various stalls and got their faces painted.

Not everyone in attendance was pleased with this year’s Cornfest. DeKalb resident Chris Judkins said he would like Cornfest to better promote local businesses. Big business sponsors such as Bud Light and Red Roof Inn tend to overshadow local businesses such as The House Café263 E. Lincoln Highway, who had local musicians playing out front.

“[Local businesses] tend to get a little lost among the bigger food trucks and stuff,” Judkins said.

As the sky grew darker, people began gravitating towards the soundstage, which showed off local artists as well as larger groups such as country rock artist, Uncle Kracker. With a nod to the corn-stalk roots of DeKalb, there’s no better way to celebrate the community than with a bit of dancing and singing.

The positive attitude in the air was contagious, and Cornfest entertained older residents as well as incoming students who were exposed to the tradition for the first time.

“[Cornfest] gives you a chance to check out downtown DeKalb,” junior actuarial science major Michael Hollander said. “There’s a lot more than just hanging out at the student center. There’s entertainment [and] there’s nightlife.”

Bringing together the community and bringing college students out of their average day, Cornfest is a must-experience sight, even if some think it has more potential than it achieves. The festival reminds residents of their roots and welcomes students in a way only DeKalb is capable of providing as they prepare for another school year.

“It takes you out of the college bubble [and] makes you part of the community,” Kevin McNeely, junior mathematical science major, said.