Students test friendships

By Victoria Lunacek

DeKALB — It’s said that family knows one another best, but family doesn’t mean blood. “Is That Your Line Sibling,” hosted by Sigma Lambda Beta, brought Latin Greek organizations together for a friendly competition in which seven organizations competed in three rounds.

Each person was given a whiteboard to write their answers down and one minute to answer each question, similar to “Family Feud,” which airs on ABC. The questions varied, but each one tested how well members of Greek Life know their brothers and sisters.

One set of sisters stood above them all with an almost perfect score. The sisters of Kappa Delta Chi, senior biochemistry major Jasmine Aguiniga and Diana Garcia, senior nutrition and dietetics major, have known each other since their freshman year of high school and began the NIU chapter of the sorority.

“It’s funny how we met,” said Garcia. “We [had] both made the badminton team and became friends from there.”

Both girls wanted to join Greek Life, according to Aguiniga. Instead of joining a sorority already on campus, they brought Kappa Delta Chi to NIU.

“Kappa Delta Chi is a service sorority,” Garcia said. “We founded the chapter because we love serving people. I like to help others who are in need.”

Both girls said they did a lot of research on different sororities and chose the one they felt had the best service. After finding one they liked, they presented it to the board to get approval, and, as of last semester, their sorority was officially recognized on campus.

“We really enjoyed competing here tonight,” said Aguiniga. “It was really exciting to win, and since today is our founders’ day, I feel like luck was on our side.”

The Kappa Delta Chi sisters united to take home first place with their friendship giving them a bond no other Greek organization could beat.