Pass/Fail: County to discuss medical marijuana; Neptune to be renovated

By Maritza Huerta

Pass:

Medical marijuana has been legalized in more than 20 states across the country, according to an April 20, 2014, Business Insider article. Recently, the DeKalb City Council met to consider petitioning aiding a local marijuana dispensary, Justice Grown, to ensure “high quality cannabis to patients in need of healthier alternatives to personal wellness,” according to a Feb. 23 Northern Star article. Although the county is only considering aiding the dispensary, it is a step in the right direction. DeKalb’s potential cooperation with Justice Grown could mean raising financial revenue for the county and improving people’s overall wellness. Medicinal marijuana has a number of benefits, such as decreasing anxiety, preventing Alzheimer’s disease, relieving arthritic discomfort and soothing tremors for people with Parkinson’s disease, according to the same Business Insider article. 

Fail:

Neptune Residence Hall, the main residential hall in the center of campus, is to be renovated before the fall 2017 semester, according to a Feb. 20 Northern Star article. The estimated cost for a full renovation of the residence hall would be approximately $47 million. As I have lived in Neptune, I understand its need to be renovated — a lack of air conditioning, adequate security and aged windows, doors, showers, etc. But the $47 million could be allocated elsewhere, as there is an unfinished building across from the Founder’s Memorial Library and not enough parking for students and staff on campus. There have been several budget cuts that have impacted NIU’s academic and social structures. As a member and leader of an NIU sports club, I have heard quite a bit about the budget cuts, and it has financially impacted all recreational activities. Neptune Hall has the highest vacancy rate, according to a Feb. 20 Northern Star article. This brings the question of how necessary the multi-million dollar renovation is.