Local ways to discover music around campus

Northern Star File photo

Patrons at Fatty’s Pub & Grille

By Danielle Keys

There are awesome places around DeKalb to immerse yourself into the music scene that involve our students or local bands this fall. Discover new, up-and-coming bands at one of these local places around NIU.

NIU School of Music in Boutell Memorial Concert Hall

The NIU School of Music offers a variety of concerts performing an array of classical and jazz styles of music in the Boutell Memorial Concert Hall, 550 Lucinda Ave. These concerts feature faculty and use ensemble members during the performance. Their next concert is 8 p.m. Friday. This concert will feature music from NIU Music Professor Mark Ponzo and Guest Pianist Yurong “Ria” Yang.

Fatty’s Pub & Grille

Not only does Fatty’s Pub & Grille, 1312 W. Lincoln Hwy., have amazing food, but the restaurant is great for its live music, especially after games, major events and holidays. From local bands to DJ showcases, Fatty’s is a cool place to kick-off the weekend. This local establishment updates their Facebook page daily. Back Country Roads will perform at Fatty’s 10 p.m. Sept. 23.

The Kishwaukee Concert Band in Boutell Memorial Concert Hall

The Kishwaukee Concert Band is an adult ensemble and community band that performs concerts in the Boutell Memorial Concert Hall, 550 Lucinda Ave. Whether students want to hear holiday tunes or some songs to bring them into the spring mood, this is an awesome opportunity to hear some artists in the DeKalb area. Their next concert is held at 3 p.m. on Oct. 23.