Cinemas in Sandburg wants huskie support

A handful of people attend the “Goosebumps” movie showing as part of the “Cinemas in Sandburg” movie series Jan. 26 in the Holmes Student Center, Carl Sandburg Auditorium.

By Jay Ibarra

DeKalb | The Holmes Student Center has kicked off Cinemas in Sandburg, a movie event for the spring semester, free of cost for students, faculty and staff.

Last year, the Holmes Student center hosted Cinemas in Sandburg sporadically and decided to make it a weekly event last semester. This semester, the Holmes Student Center took on the initiative to do Sundays too, said Kimberly Manno, senior elementary education major and co-operational head programmer for the Holmes Student Center.

The event is hosted at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday and Sunday nights in the Holmes Student Center, Carl Sandburg Auditorium .

“We started the Cinemas in Sandberg in fall, but we’ve been doing this for over a year,” Manno said.

The turnout for the first few events wasn’t what organizers hoped for with an approximate 7-8 students in attendance for the first few movie nights; the team still seems excited for the events ahead Manno said.

“We go by a list and then we go and personally choose them from the top 100. For this one, we did it differently. We did viewer’s choice,” said Stephanie Stoyanoff, senior physical therapy major and co-operational head programmer for The Holmes Student Center.

The objective is to get Huskies to unwind during a crazy week of class. The Holmes Student Center program has created a list of movies they feel the campus would enjoy and left it open for discussion on their Facebook page for students to suggest movie titles.

“I help go around and put up the posters for all of the events and I’m imagining when the weather get’s nicer, chalk the quad,” said Connor Winkler, freshman communications major.

Revenue from $1 snack sales goes back to the student organization volunteering during that movie day.

The Cinemas in Sandburg flyers are posted around campus and includes a list of movies this spring.