Attend NIU fairs to gain experience

By Kim Randall

The Internship and Full-Time Career fairs that NIU offers provide a great way to get a shoe in the door in your field of choice.

Though the fairs are next month, now is the time for students to begin prepping to ensure they are more than ready.

The idea of trying to obtain an internship or job can be painful for many because it may be tempting to let “what-ifs” consume you.

I know I’ve been there and have almost talked myself out of an interview out of the sheer fear I didn’t possess the qualities needed to get in the door.

But, do not despair. There are ways to alleviate these feelings and make room for success.

For one, getting your resume in order is a necessity as it is a representation of you.

Employers will use your resume as a factor when making their hiring decisions.

Reviewing and revising your resume ensures it best reflects your experiences and expertise. NIU offers many ways of doing so.

If you feel your resume isn’t up to par after you’ve revisited the document, you can make an appointment or walk to the Career Resource Center in the Campus Life Building for counseling or a resume review.

According to the Career Resource Center’s Full-time Job Fair and internship tip website, you can prepare yourself for the events by finding out which employers are coming to the fairs and creating a 45-second verbal summary of your qualifications.

I’ve always found it helpful to organize my qualifications in regard to the particular field or job I am eyeing. This way my attributes are highlighted accordingly and not shadowed by information that won’t help me.

There are also workshops geared to help you prepare for the fairs, like the ABCs of Getting an Internship Workshop sponsored by Kohl’s and a Prepare for the Career Fairs workshop. Both aim to prepare and inform you of the types of attributes employers look for.

Taking steps like these help make for a great first impression to demonstrate you are the candidate employers are looking for.

I mean, who wants to be the one caught scratching their head when hit with questions like, “What brought you here?” I sure wouldn’t. Simply saying you need the internship or job won’t cut it.

“I attended the Internship Fair last semester, and I must say that it was a great experience,” said junior biochemistry major Daniel Jeffries. “Each company there looks for an intern for a specific part of the business.

“For example, one company may only be looking for a marketing intern, but if you are ambitious enough you can get information on getting an internship in a different area within the same company.”

Jeffries said he made it a priority to make his verbal summary stand out and showcase what made him qualified to be chosen.

Each company meets dozens of students on the two days, so you have to make your one shot count.

This may all seem like a lot, but it is always better to be over-prepared.

Now you will be sure to exude the confidence you need to wow any future employers.