Rec Center to hold free fitness classes

By Lindsey Rodriguez

NIU is welcoming students back with a Group fitness free week.

The Recreation Center is hosting a Fitness free week, which will be held until Saturday.

All students are welcome to enjoy free fitness classes in activity rooms one and two. Eric Appiah, the assistant director of Fitness and Wellness, talked a little more about the event.

Lindsey Rodriguez: Explain what this event is about and what it has to offer?

Eric Appiah: It is a week to showcase all the fitness classes that the group has to offer. They have a chance to be a part of that.

LR: What are your most popular fitness classes?

EA: Our top three classes are body combat, Zumba, and a tie between yoga and pilates. Our cycle classes are pretty popular, too.

LR: Is this event new, and do you believe it will be successful?

EA: It is usually pretty successful as long as we spread the word. It has been over 20 years that we do our free week.

LR: Why should students take advantage of this event?

EA: Just to see what’s out there as far as classes. They also create a lifestyle and see what classes they like.

LR: How much do classes normally cost?

EA: Classes are $64 for all classes throughout the semester. We have two options: Students can make two installment plans of $32, or pay the whole thing with Huskie Bucks.

LR: Do you predict a high turnout?

EA: Yes. We have a lot of people coming in to check it out. We are in the season to get in shape.

LR: Do you think this will encourage students to live a healthy lifestyle? Why?

EA: This is the best way to encourage students because once they find a class they really enjoy that sparks the fire.

LR: What other events does the Recreation Center have to offer?

EA: We have activities with intramural basketball, soccer, table tennis, outdoor center trips, equipment availability. There is also a fitness center in the new residence halls available to those who live in the dorms.

LR: Why did the Recreation Center choose the beginning of the semester to host this event?

EA: Because we have a brand new schedule, brand new instructors, so they get a chance to see what the event is all about and what it has to offer.

LR: Do you believe NIU will continue to promote this event and why?

EA: Definitely. Part of our mission is to create a culture of wellness for students. The fitness classes help relieve stress. This helps them do better in school and we introduce them to new classes.