Men’s basketball looks to take down SIU-E Cougars

By Brian Earle

Coming off a game in which the team only totaled five points going into halftime, NIU men’s basketball looks to get off to a stronger start when it hosts the SIU Edwardsville Cougars today.

The Huskies (1-5) lost their last game to Dayton, 60-43, which was their third loss in a row. NIU’s offense picked up in the second half against the Flyers as it scored 38 points.

Coach Mark Montgomery is looking for his team to continue the play that he saw in the second half against Dayton and get off to a faster start against the Cougars.

“We want to see some carryover on the offensive end and want to get into a better flow earlier in the game,” Montgomery said in a news conference. “Hopefully we can get out in transition and score some easy baskets, either from rebounding the ball or with our press. We want to get the ball down low; we want to get Sam Mader, Keith and Kevin Gray and Darrell Bowie some touches down there.”

Something the Huskies have been looking for all season long is for more players to score in double figures. At this point, NIU has one players scoring in double figures: freshman guard Akeem Springs with 10.3.

Junior forward Aksel Bolin and freshman forward Mader each add 7.3 points per game, but Montgomery would like to see even more of a contribution from them and the rest of his team.

“We have been talking about it this week, we need multiple baskets in a row, and usually that comes from different players,” Montgomery said in a news conference. “It would be nice if three or four of the freshmen could have between seven and 12 points. Then if we can get Bolin in double figures, and a few other players, we will have a chance.”

The Cougars (2-3) are coming off a convincing win over Chicago State, 71-57, stopping their two game losing streak. The Cougars broke the game open in the second half when it scored 45 points.

The Huskies will focus on senior forward Jerome Jones who averages a team-high 17.2 points per game. Sophomore guard Kris Davis averages 9.8 points per game.

Montgomery believes this game with the Cougars will be a good test for his team.

“They have an experienced team coming back, a couple of Division I transfers [Maurice] Wiltz [from Colorado State] a good point guard and Davis a combo guard who led the nation in 3-point shooting,” Montgomery said in a news conference. “Jones is an explosive scorer and Mark Yelovich is an all-conference player and hit the shot to be us last year. They are an experienced team, coming from a good conference and it will be a big challenge for us.”