Residence halls, apartments both offer benefits, conveniences

By Gino Hernaiz

The residences halls will undergo more renovations to make them attractive to students.

Michael Stang, executive director of Housing and Dining, said he anticipates more students living in residence halls. He said two new residence halls will open next fall semester, and renovations for Grant Tower D and Gilbert Hall are due.

The residence halls and apartments have their advantages and disadvantages with students.

Stang said students have the advantage of living with other students with the same major in the residence halls.

“Also, it connects students to university events,” Stang said. “I would say those are the primary advantages.”

Kevin Bott, Lincolnshire West property manager, said living in the apartments can make students more responsible.

“It is more of a growing up kind of concept because you learn to pay for utilities, for the apartment and meals,” Bott said.

Tia Crawford, freshman journalism and communications major, said location is key when deciding on whether to live in the residence halls or apartments. Alex Murin, Lincolnshire West assistant property manager also said location is essential.

“Being close to the football stadium, classes or the Recreation Center is very important for students,” Murin said.

However, Stang said there is a lot of convenience in the residence halls. Students are able to pay for living in them once and they get access to meals, laundry, Internet, custodial services and faculty and student academic resources.

The convenience of the residence halls is one of several reasons why NIU requires first-year students to live in the residence halls, Stang said.

The residence halls and the apartments share something in common for students living in them: Students can pay for their living spaces and utilities as long as their financial aid application is approved through the financial aid process.

Sophomore art major Joscelyn Cuyun said students can use financial aid to pay for months of rent, which is easier than paying month by month.

“You can also buy textbooks and supplies with whatever money is left over, just like with the dorms,” Cuyun said.