Former student charged with armed violence

By Dave Gong

A former NIU student has been charged with three counts of armed violence, each punishable by up to 30 years in prison, according to DeKalb Police.

DeKalb Police Chief Bill Feithen said Christopher Edmond, 22, is also charged with three counts of aggravated battery, two counts of defacing the identification on a firearm, and one count of the unlawful use of a weapon, each of which is a class three felony. Edmond is also charged with one count of the unlawful delivery of cannabis, a class four felony.

DeKalb Police Lt. Gary Spangler said police were investigating an unrelated case when they came across the victim of a battery at Welsh Park in DeKalb Wednesday. Spangler said Edmond was identified during the investigation.

Police entered Edmond’s apartment and found cannabis inside the residence. Edmond was found hiding in the bathroom.

“We obtained a warrant and found two handguns hidden on top of the vanity in the bathroom,” Spangler said.

Spangler said police are looking into the possibility of a connection to other recent shots fired reports, and police believe the reports to be related.

There have been three reports of shots fired in DeKalb during the month of April. According to Spangler, the first report occurred early April 2 in downtown DeKalb near The House Café, 263 E. Lincoln Highway. A second report occurred in the evening of April 3 near the 1200 block of Rushmoore Drive. Shots were also reported on April 10 near the 900 block of Hillcrest Drive.

Brad Hoey, team leader of NIU Media Relations and Internal Communications, said Edmond is not a current NIU student, but was last enrolled in the university during the fall 2010 semester.

Edmond’s bond was set at $500,000 at a hearing Thursday. His next court appearance is May 11.