Internet problems plague campus through Monday night

By Jessica Sabbah

Junior psychology major Lauren Johnson wasn’t able to print off her syllabus Monday afternoon because she was unable to connect to the Internet in a campus lab.

Like Johnson, some on campus Monday may have noticed Internet connectivity issues. The cause of the issues are still unknown.

“We’re in the process of troubleshooting still to find the root cause of the problem, but sometime over the weekend NIU began to experience intermittent Internet bandwidth issues,” said Jim Fatz, director of Information Security and Operations. “We get bandwidth provided to us by three different places, and we’ve contacted them to try and troubleshoot each of their ends with this issue.”

Fatz said the issue looks like a routing problem which rests with the service providers and can’t be resolved by NIU at this point.

“Those providers all have the potential to route certain kinds of traffic from our Internet, and if their mapping isn’t in sync then we get this kind of intermittent issue,” Fatz said.

Until one of the service providers figures out which one has the problem and what the problem is, Fatz said ITS won’t know how long the problem will persist.

As of 6 p.m. Monday, Johnson said she still hadn’t printed her syllabus for her child development class because she was unable to access Blackboard in the lab she was trying to print from.

Faculty, students and staff experienced dropped connections, not being able to connect or slow Internet connections, also known as high latency, throughout campus.

Thomas Panko, junior industrial engineering and mechanical engineering major, said he was having trouble accessing the File Transfer Protocol server on NIU computers during his engineering graphics class from 3 to 5 p.m. Monday.

Panko said he uses the server to store most of the material he uses for his classes. He said he had to eventually re-do some of the work for his class because he was locked out of the server.

Although the issues began late Saturday or early Sunday, Fatz said the problem wasn’t necessarily apparent to ITS until Monday because the symptoms were heavily dependent on the amount of Internet usage occurring at any given time and there were not a lot of people trying to use the Internet over the weekend.

“Everybody is working on it to their best ability to resolve the problem as soon as possible,” Fatz said.