DeKalb police will increase patrols for Halloween

By John Bachmann

Extra safety precautions will be implemented this weekend for Halloween.

It was announced Tuesday during a press conference that the case for missing student Antinette “Toni” Keller was reclassified as a homicide investigation, and local authorities say heightened security measures will be in place throughout the weekend.

NIU Police Sgt. Alan Smith said police will continue to do what they’re doing by utilizing the extra police officers patrolling the area.

Smith also reminded those who will be out this weekend or any night to use the Late Night Ride Services and the 24-hour security escorts that are available to them.

DeKalb Police Chief Bill Feithen said that despite the fact that a person of interest in the Keller case is in custody, students should “always be alert.”

“We have expanded patrols,” Feithen said. “We know students, parents and citizens are concerned, and we want to increase their sense of security.”

Smith encourages students not to wear costumes that offend others.

“Don’t wear offensive costumes or things that could be inappropriate,” Smith said. “They need to be sensitive to others based on what’s going on right now.”

Students who live on Greek Row recently met with DeKalb Mayor Kris Povlsen and others, sharing their safety concerns for this weekend.

“Police will be putting extra patrols and temporary extra lighting in the area,” Povlsen said.

Some students are altering their Halloween plans as a reaction to the homicide investigation.

Liesha Jones, senior public health major said she is trying to avoid walking this weekend especially at night.

“I won’t be outside late by myself,” Jones said. “If I have to go out late it will be with a group of people.”

Jarvis Pittman, senior elementary education major, said it’s not a perfect time to be out for Halloween.

“It wouldn’t be best to be walking around outside this weekend,” Pittman said.

Pittman said one of his friends is not letting her child participate in the festivities.

“She’s refraining from letting her kid trick or treat,” Pittman said.

DeKalb Police said they are contemplating the notion of possibly changimg the hours for trick or treaters.