Toppers Pizza to open in DeKalb late summer

By Rebecca Freitag

DeKALB | The next toughest choice for NIU students will be choosing between Topperstix and cheese nuggets.

In late July or early August, Toppers Pizza will open at 1015 W. Lincoln Highway.

Scott Iversen, director of advertising for Toppers, said the company is targeted towards the 18-24 age group. They are located typically on college campuses and are based mostly in Wisconsin.

“What makes Toppers so great for students is convenience,” said Marie Scimeca, junior public relations major at University of Wisconsin-Whitewater.

Next semester, Toppers will be accepting Huskie Bucks and will be open late for delivery.

“Toppers Pizza has a lot of fun with their customers,” Iversen said. “We’re not your average pizza company.”

The new pizzeria includes 17 different house pizzas, plus Topperstix, grinders, quesadillas and buffalo wings. Their most known product is Topperstix, cheese covered breadsticks that come in different flavors.

Toppers Pizza opened their first Illinois location in Champaign in 1991.

“The location did not survive, because we weren’t the same company we are today,” Iversen said. “We’re tremendously excited about coming to DeKalb.”

The restaurant relies on their delivery.

“80% of business is done through delivery and our motto is ‘delivery faster than fast,'” Iversen said.

Many locations are open until at least 3 a.m., 7 days a week and the DeKalb location may be open even later.

“There are a lot of Toppers fanatics,” said Madison Toppers assistant manager, Michelle Wagner. “It’s a big favorite here in Madison. College students love our food.”