Essays show students’ appreciation of parents

By Amy Ross

Many college students do not know how to show their parents how much they are appreciated. But two NIU students found a way.

For the second year in a row, the sophomore honor society, Lambda Sigma and the senior honor society, Mortar Board, sponsored the best mom and best dad essay contest.

NIU student Tanya Lamia wrote the winning essay about her mom and NIU student Pamela Demetra Baker was the winner of an essay about her dad. The two will be honored Saturday during the NIU football game.

Students who entered the contest were to write an essay of no more than three double-spaced pages on what makes their parent so important and the relationship which they share. Around 30 essays were turned in, and they were judged by two people from University Programming and Activities, two professors from the English department and one member from Mortar Board.

Lambda Sigma President Dave Rock said, “Some of the things the essays were judged on was how approachable the parent is, if there is an open relationship present, if the parent is involved in community service and if they are a good parental role model.”

According to Mortar Board President Teri Schaffer, “The essays also must be well written and creative enough to stand out among the others.”

The parents will be presented two plaques during the football game by NIU President John La Tourette, Rock and Schaffer. One plaque will be displayed permanently in the Holmes Student Center along with last year’s winners, and one will be given to the parents to take home.

The parents and students also will receive VIP parking at the game, skybox seats and a presidential dinner afterwards.

“I saw this contest as a way to thank my mom for all she has done. Financially, I can’t do much for her, but this contest can show to her how much she is appreciated,” Lamia said.

Schaffer said the idea for the essay contest came from the Mortar Board chapter at Iowa State University. Schaffer added that the Mortar Board chapter at NIU won a national award for Best New Tradition for this essay contest.

“The contest promotes enthusiasm and family and is also a great way for Lambda Sigma and Mortar Board to work on something together. I would love for it to go on every year,” Schaffer said.

“The contest promotes enthusiasm and family and is also a great way for Lambda Sigma and Mortar Board to work on something together. I would love for it to go on every year.”