Summer offers work opportunities

By Andrew Schlesser

After school gets out, most NIU students go home for the summer. But that doesn’t mean DeKalb’s economy goes with them. For students who decide to stay in DeKalb, there are opportunities for employment.

Manpower Temporary Service, 2492 DeKalb Ave., Suite 110, is a company that helps people find jobs, said Ginnie Weckerly, business development manager at Manpower.

“We work actively with the college students,�? Weckerly said.

Jobs are available in manufacturing, machine work, production and assembly, Weckerly said. Lots of employers have peak production hours during the summer.

“The first step is to come in and fill out an application,�? she said.

Manpower also helps professional candidates find permanent full-time positions, Weckerly said.

“We help graduates with getting their foot in the door,�? she said.

Students of all levels can also visit NIU’s own Career Services in the Campus Life Building, Room 220 for help finding a job or internship that is career-oriented.

Students are encouraged to meet with a career counselor to find out about the different positions available, said Cindy Henderson, associate director of campus and employer relations.

“The purpose of meeting with us is to chart out career goals and identify areas of interest according to major and plan steps to learn more about different career focuses and how to align a student’s interest with what they want to do,�? Henderson said. “Real work experience may change a person’s mind or change the focus of their original career choice.�?

Working part-time jobs, doing internships or getting involved in student activities is a definite must for all students, Henderson said.

“One thing that we really emphasize is that by the time a student is a senior in their last semester, if they haven’t had a part-time job, involved in the leadership of a student organization or done an internship, they put themselves at a serious disadvantage when it comes to finding work,�? Henderson said.

Sixty percent of students with internship experience get offered a job after graduation, Henderson said.

Career Services can also help students with interviewing skills, critique practice interviews and critique resumes, she said.

“We don’t write resumes but we do help out with them,�? Henderson said.

Students can also resort to the old-fashioned going out and applying for a job.

NIU graduate Rob Taylor worked the last three summers at the Border’s Books, Music, Movies & Cafe, 2520 Sycamore Road.

“I just went in, applied for the job and asked to see a manager,�? Taylor said.

Taylor said some employees would leave or do other things during the summer, but the pay scale and work hours generally aren’t affected.