Student studies campus culture

By Jen Bland

She’s probably one of the busiest students on campus.

April McLaughlin is currently juggling work at the Center for Black Studies, the Vice Presidency of the Black Student Union (BSU), writing for Lifeline, working in Douglas Food Service and attending classes.

She said all the activities have forced her to improve her time management skills.

McLaughlin is a 20-year-old U.S. history major with a minor in black studies. After her graduation she hopes to earn a masters degree in African-American history and teach secondary education.

McLaughlin said what she likes best about NIU is the Center for Black Studies. “It allows me to explore culture and try to help the campus and students learn about African-American culture outside classes,” she said.

But McLaughlin said there is a “non-sensitivity to multiculturalism” at NIU. She would like to have multicultural courses added to the mandatory curriculum or as part of the general education choices.

McLaughlin’s favorite organization is the BSU because of the variety of activities it sponsors. “We have the Black Expo, Chillfest, Summerfest and Laughfest,” she added. “I’m really looking forward to the Black Expo this year because there will be the Hooked on Gospel competition.”

McLaughlin said these activities provide an outlet particularly for minority students.

“The majority of the students are white and there are more support systems for them,” she said. “These programs give blacks a way to meet in an educational environment outside of class, provides support systems and cultural awareness.”

McLaughlin said she gets personal satisfaction from being able to meet many influential people that the BSU brings to campus.

“I can meet them instead of just sitting in Sandburg (Auditorium) listening to them,” she said.

McLaughlin hopes to bring her experiences from these organizations to the classes she wants to one day teach. “I will have a more multicultural point of view to bring to my classes,” she said. “I think all students deserve a chance to learn about themselves regardless of their race.”

McLaughlin recently traveled to Africa for the National Council for Black Studies Conference. She said the conference “was a bunch of predominant black intellectuals from around the world” that attended lecture series and seminars about black study issues.

The seminars focused mainly on Africa’s economy, its political situation and contrasted the lives of Africans and African-Americans.

“The most memorable thing I saw was the slave holding castles,” McLaughlin said. “I also realized the diversity of the continent.”

“Some parts are so rich and beautiful while others are extremely poor,” she added.

When McLaughlin is finally ready to leave the hallowed halls of NIU she will take with her memories of Black History Month. “My greatest thrill was to be a part of Black History Month,” she said.