Runner-up endorses Pritchard

By Nick Swedberg

oe Wiegand said he still supports the Republican party and has endorsed his former opponent a week after losing the Republican nomination for Illinois state representative to Robert Pritchard.

On Wednesday at a Republican unity breakfast, Wiegand announced he endorsed Pritchard. Now he will take on the “crafty” Democratic party by rallying around Pritchard, the 70th District state representative incumbent.

“The party and its candidates will have my support,” Wiegand said. However, he said he won’t stop being a critic of the party when he deems necessary.

Wiegand said he has one regret about the campaign: He would have liked to have spent more time on campus campaigning and supporting the Republican party.

Wiegand said he thinks he would have won the election if he had interacted more with his neighbors and community.

“I noticed that participation from student-dominated wards was really quite low,” Wiegand said. “It’s not too late to correct it.” He said wants to involve more students in the public-policy process by speaking to them on campus.

Wiegand also said he wants to recruit younger people into the Republican party.

“I do believe our party needs more young people involved,” Wiegand said.

Wiegand said he wants to spend more time with his family to catch up on family activities. He said he spent time with his wife and daughter at the zoo last weekend.

“It felt good to spend time with the family,” Wiegand said.

He hasn’t ruled out running again for representative or some other elected position.

“I know I’m called to public service,” Wiegand said. He said he is going to complete his term on the DeKalb County Board.

Wiegand said he wants to become a part of the Illinois General Assembly and is not discouraged from getting that opportunity one day. He said he will be ready should the opportunity arise for him to run again.

Wiegand said he now plans to stay involved and get to know his community members better.