Tutors steer local children to read

By Kimberly Darrah

DeKalb public schools and NIU students are working together to help improve the reading skills of community youngsters.

As part of former President Bill Clinton’s 1997 program America Reads, tutors attempt to help get children reading by the third grade. The program requires all colleges and universities that accept federal funding to have the America Reads program.

At NIU, 10 tutors are working with 120 kids at Cheseboro, Jefferson and Littlejohn elementary schools in DeKalb. Each tutor works with about 12 to 20 kids per week, as many as three times a week. The tutoring is free.

“Being a tutor is a rewarding experience because I’m being helpful to other people’s lives,” one tutor said in a press release. “I look forward to my tutoring sessions because I know the kids will be waiting for me and willing and ready to learn.”

The program benefits the community and school district.

“People have enjoyed it,” said Liz B. Rice, coordinator of the NIU America Reads program. “It gives attention to those students who don’t understand.”

The 20 to 30 minute sessions take place during school hours. The children or the tutors read aloud and then do an activity covering both comprehensive and phonetic work. This might include playing games, writing or drawing pictures — anything related to reading.

“The one-on-one attention is to help increase the reading skills of students, kindergarten through fourth grade,” Rice said. “It is really helping, and that is what really attracts the schools to this program.”

Cheseboro principal Geraldine Crider said the program has been successful.

“This is another opportunity for students who are having problems, especially in the area of reading, to get extra help and extra time,” Crider said. “NIU took the time to train the tutors, which is a big plus.”

NIU is looking to expand the program to more DeKalb and possibly Sycamore schools. As for now, the program is only seeking a field coordinator to do some administrative and field work in the schools, but the fall program will need more tutors.

“The program will continue as long as federal funding is available,” said Laurie Elish-Piper, director of NIU Reading Clinic and an associate professor in literacy education.

NIU also has fundraisers for the program. Thus far, the Village Commons Bookstore has made a donation, and the Junction Bookstore has donated 24 children’s stories.