Regents committee to set student fees

By Ken Goze

Student fees and room and board rates for next year will be set and bond refinancing is expected to get final approval at Thursday’s Board of Regents meeting at Sangamon State University in Springfield.

The Regents Finance and Facilities Committee will consider proposed increases for three NIU student fees and room and board rates at its Wednesday meeting.

The committee will consider an increase in the activity fee from $48.48 to $52.80 per year and an increase from $3.50 to $5 per official transcript.

The committee also will consider a hike in room and board rates from $2,841 to $2,926 per year for a double occupancy 21-meal plan. Tuition will not be discussed until the Regents’ May meeting.

The board is set to take final action on the refinancing of NIU’s bond debt to kick up extra money. NIU officials are expected to present a detailed list of projects the money will be used for, including the proposed Campus Life Building. The board is expected to review the list, choose a financing proposal and authorize final issuance of bonds.

The Regents Personnel and Operations Committee will continue to look at the ongoing issue of job duplication between the Chancellor’s Office and three regency schools at its Wednesday meeting.

The committee decided last month to investigate hiring an outside consultant to help find and eliminate duplication after several efforts since December reached a standstill.

The Regents govern NIU, SSU and Illinois State University at Normal.