SGA approves new Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee

The+Student+Government+Association+is+located+in+the+Holmes+Student+Center+ground+floor+in+the+OASIS+space.+

Northern Star File Photo

The Student Government Association is located in the Holmes Student Center ground floor in the OASIS space.

The latest Student Government Association meeting approved a new Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee.

Authored by senators Atlas Babcock and Debbie Allen, the approved legislation establishes a committee dedicated to representing and working with underrepresented communities at NIU.

According to the SGA, the new committee is “concerned with the collaboration of campus resource centers, underserved student communities, and any initiatives regarding diversity, equity, and inclusion put forth by the Student Government Association.”

The committee will work with and attend events held by various resource centers on campus as well as supporting students’ inclusion and diversity initiatives at NIU.

SGA hopes that this committee will allow the SGA to build better relationships with the underserved communities on campus.

Additionally, nine student organizations have been approved and are officially recognized by SGA. These include a World Music Club, Hispanic Business Student Association, Tabletop Gaming Club and Biomedical Engineering Society, among others. The recognition of these student organizations was unanimous and effective immediately.

The SGA meetings are open to the public, and more information can be found on their “About” page.