Brouwer’s quality start earns Huskie of the Week honors

Eddie Miller
A graphic shows redshirt sophomore Adam Brouwer as the Huskie of the Week. Brouwer pitched 7.2 innings for NIU baseball Saturday and only allowed one earned run in his outing. (Eddie Miller | Northern Star)

DeKALB – Redshirt sophomore pitcher Adam Brouwer’s gem on Saturday earned NIU baseball its second straight Huskie of the Week honor. 

Brouwer totaled 7.2 innings pitched in Saturday’s matchup against Kent State, tallying five strikeouts and allowing one earned run and three total runs. 

This was Brouwer’s longest outing of the year, with his previous long outing coming in at seven innings pitched on March 24 against Miami University. 

The Tinley Park, Illinois, native now leads the Huskies in wins, as he picked up his fourth victory of the season after his stellar performance on Saturday. 

Brouwer lowered his season ERA to a team-low among starting pitchers with 6.75. 

The Huskies will be back in action at 3 p.m. on Tuesday against Valparaiso University at Ralph McKinzie Field at Walt and Janice Owens Park. The game will be live streamed on NIU All Access and live stats will be available via SIDEARM Stats.

Next week’s Huskie of the Week will be announced April 29.

The Northern Star sports section’s Huskie of the Week is voted for on a weekly basis. Student-athletes considered for this week’s edition were chosen based on their weekly performance in competitions taking place from April 15 to April 21.