The incest romance genre takes on new twist with ‘Culpa Mia’

Nicole Wallace and Gabriel Guevera star in Amazon Prime’s summer movie release “Culpa Mia.” The film is perfect for anyone who enjoys thrilling, romance-driven plots. (Amazon Prime Video)

Culpa Mia was released on Amazon Prime over the summer and is based on the book of the same name written by Mercedes Ron. The movie follows Noah (Nicole Wallace), who leaves her ordinary life behind to live with her mother’s new husband, a classy millionaire. When moving into her new home, she meets Nick Leister (Gabriel Guevera), her new stepbrother. 

A glance at the film’s synopsis is questionable, as Nick and Noah are stepsiblings caught up in a forbidden love trope but inevitably fall for each other. Nobody fret because, unlike some shows like “House of the Dragon,” which pair an uncle and a niece as the main relationship in the show, Culpa Mia pairs stepsiblings who are only siblings by title, not by the DNA they share. 

The film doesn’t contain a riveting story or any spectacular plot. For those who enjoy cheesy romances with a little bit of risk involved, Culpa Mia is the movie for you. Nick is the classic millionaire’s son who has mommy issues and is too cocky for his own good. In the beginning, Nick and Noah start out as “enemies,” since neither one of them likes their new family arrangement. As Noah starts hanging around Nick more, their insults become playful banter, and their actions start to stem from a need to protect one another. 

The one thing that stands out in the movie is the actors’ chemistry with one another. Wallace and Guevera were no strangers to each other when they filmed Culpa Mia, as they were already friends after being on a show called Skam España together. Because of the built-up relationship they had, scenes that were tense felt more authentic and emotional since the two already knew how to act opposite each other. 

The movie mainly focuses on the romance aspect but also paces a mystery element alongside it. Noah’s father is out of prison and starts to terrorize Noah by sending her anonymous letters with threatening messages. The viewers don’t know who the sender is until Noah gets kidnapped, revealing that her abusive father took her in the hopes of getting money from Noah’s rich new stepfather. Yes, the romance is the main quality of the movie, but because of the mystery surrounding Noah’s father, the film doesn’t drag on or get boring. 

Culpa Mia is a classic teen drama that is easy for any romance lovers to get into. According to an Instagram post by Prime Video España, filming for Culpa Mia two and three has begun.