Mopars and muscle cars roll into DeKalb

A 1967 Chevrolet Chevelle sits parked in front of a brick wall. The car is for sale by Classic Auto Haus, a car dealership set to open in February in DeKalb. (Courtesy of Classic Auto Haus)

DeKALB – Shiny chrome, slick lines and visceral horsepower are rolling into town. 

Classic Auto Haus of Geneva is opening its new indoor showroom next month at 215 N Fourth Street in Dekalb.  

According to owner Steve Turner, the family-owned business has been in operation for over 30 years and has outgrown its Geneva location. The classic car dealership specializes in muscle cars from the ‘60s and ‘70s, emphasizing convertibles. 

“I enjoy driving convertibles and try to focus my inventory on cars I would drive,” Turner said. “With convertibles, you get that top-down feel, and when the weather doesn’t cooperate, you just pop the top back up. You get the best of both worlds in a convertible.” 

But it’s not just the cars Turner loves. It’s the community of classic car enthusiasts like Joe Salzburg, founder and president of the Northern Illinois Streeters Car Club.  

Salzburg said his love of cars began when he was three-years-old while playing with Matchbox toy cars and drawing Jetson-style cartoon vehicles. 

“I own some classic cars, and they’re just more special than your average everyday car,” Salzburg said. “I like the lines. I like the looks. I like the looks they get when driving one. I like the visceral feeling of driving one and the questions you often get asked by people who like to look at them.” 

WHAT MAKES A CAR A CLASSIC? 

“Generally, for a car to be considered classic, it is 25 years or older as a baseline by most applications or even classic car insurers,” Salzburg said. “That doesn’t go to say that a 1986 Ford Taurus is going to be a collectible car.” 

The definition of classic can vary among collectors. The generally agreed-upon definition is that classic cars are at least 20-years-old, according to the Lallis & Higgins Insurance website. However, the Classic Car Club of America defines classic cars as “fine” or “distinctive” vehicles manufactured between 1915 and 1948. 

“It really depends on the collector. Most have a sentimental bond with a certain car,” Salzburg said. “It’s something they had when they were younger or have a lot of money behind them, meaning they cost a lot to acquire or restore one.” 

Classic cars hold a special place in collectors’ hearts, who often feel they don’t make cars like they used to. Salzburg happily agrees. 

“Thank God they don’t because they’re just not as reliable. They also don’t have the creature comforts and safety innovations of today’s cars,” Salzburg said. “I have a 1972 Javelin AMX. It’s a great and fast car, but it doesn’t have any cupholders and is not as comfortable for long rides. However, on those rides it’s intended for, it’s the best thing in the world.” 

Owning one of these classic vehicles can be an investment if you have the money and passion to put into it.

“They’re never going to make these cars again, and with the advent of electric cars being pushed, these cars are going to be a superb investment,” Turner said. “These cars are the last of the natural aspiration-type vehicles that run on gas, and when the electric car becomes predominant in society, these car’s value will skyrocket.” 

The complete Classic Auto Haus inventory can be viewed at the Classic Auto Haus website and to make an appointment call 630-315-0257