Huskies can’t spoil Bronco beach bash

By Tom Clegg

Western Michigan kicked sand in the faces of the NIU men’s basketball team as the Broncos outfought the Huskies’ 84-79 on “Beach Night” Monday in Kalamazoo.

The summer-like atmosphere created by the 1,885 WMU fans worked in the Broncos’ favor early as NIU (4-12) fell behind by 13 points in the first half. Leading the hot Broncos (6-8) was forward Greg Rapp, who hit his first seven shots.

Like that of Akron’s Todd Robinson two days before, Rapp’s contribution caught the Huskies by surprise. The 6-foot-5 senior came in averaging under five points per game, but burned NIU for 17 of his team-high 19 points in the first half.

“We told our guys at halftime, ‘How does this guy get 17 points at the half?'” said Huskie assistant coach Kenny Arnold.

NIU, which got just four points out of senior guard Rodney Davis in the first 20 minutes, came out firing in the second half. Trailing 46-35, the Huskies cut the margin to 48-44 at the 17:45 mark when Davis and backcourt mate Randy Norman drilled back-to-back three pointers. Davis ended up scoring 20 for the game.

Adding to his 11 first-half points, Norman hit four treys in the second half and finished with a game-high 25 points. The newly-awakened senior gunner tallied six three-pointers on the night, falling one short of the NIU record he set earlier this year.

One of Norman’s long distance buckets brought the Huskies within one at 74-73 with 1:45 in the game. The hoop was set up by a Davis steal during a fullcourt press employed by NIU.

After a pair of free throws from WMU guard Billy Stanback, Davis narrowed the gap to one again by hitting two free tosses of his own. But the Broncos continued to hit their free throws in the final minute as NIU missed several shots and turned the ball over for their 19th and final time.

Before the game Huskie head coach Jim Rosborough outlined the keys to beating Western Michigan.

“We can’t get into a running game like we did here a year ago,” he said. “We’ve got to get the ball in the hole and we can’t turn it over as much.”

The Huskies accomplished one of their coach’s goals, forcing WMU to set up its halfcourt offense most of the game. However, this did not diminish the Broncos’ shooting effectiveness, which wound up at 53 percent, including 3-6 from three point range.

NIU found its shot-making skills lacking as Huskie shooters combined for 27-72 from the floor. The Huskies were impressive from behind the three point line, knocking down 8-14 from the stratosphere.

“In the first half we weren’t executing offensively,” Arnold said. “It was just two passes and a shot.”

Turnovers again took their toll on the Huskies who have been plagued with sloppy play all season. Freshman Donnell Thomas was whistled for several traveling violations, offsetting an otherwise commendable performance.

The freshman scored 14 points and contributed several key rebounds. The Huskies, who outrebounded WMU 48-37, were led by John Culbertson’s 13 boards.

Rosborough altered his starting lineup at the last minute, moving Culbertson back into the center position that freshman Andrew Wells appeared to be taking over.

“It’s just a gut-feeling on my own that he’s going to play well tonight,” Rosborough said before the tipoff of his decision to start the hot-and-cold senior. “John Culbertson has to come through for us.”

The Huskies got nine points from Culbertson, six from senior Mike Grabner, two from freshmen Stacy Arrington and Jo Jo Jackson and one from freshman Andrew Wells.