Huskies take home 3 conference awards

By Krystal Ward

The men’s basketball team took home three honors when the MAC announced its all-league teams Monday.

Sophomore center Marin Maric was named to the All-MAC Third Team, freshman guard Marshawn Wilson was named to the All-Freshman Team and junior guard Aaric Armstead was named to the All-Defensive Team.

Marin Maric

Maric led the team in scoring and rebounding this season, averaging 12.3 points per game for 21st in the MAC, and 8.5 rebounds per game for fifth in the MAC. The Huskies’ leading scorer collected 14 double-doubles this season, third in the conference and tied for 26th in the nation. He’s also fifth in the MAC in blocks, averaging 1.3 per game, and 10th in field goal percentage, shooting 43.9 percent.

Maric is the first Huskie to make an All-MAC team since Xavier Silas was named to the All-MAC First Team in 2010-11. Jordan Threloff earned an All-MAC honorable mention in 2013-14.

Marshawn Wilson

Wilson has averaged 10.8 points per game this season, third among MAC rookies, and has scored in double figures 14 times this season. He’s averaging 23.2 points per 40 minutes, fourth among all players in the conference. Wilson scored a career high 26 points on March 1 at Eastern Michigan University, coming close to Threloff’s record of 27 points on Feb. 20, 2014.

Wilson is the third All-Freshman Team honoree during head coach Mark Montgomery’s tenure at NIU. Abdel Nader was named to the conference’s All-Freshman Team in 2011-12 and Armstead earned all-freshman recognition in 2013-14.

Aaric Armstead

Armstead was named to the MAC All-Defensive Team, a category that is being recognized for the first time this year. The guard was the leader of one of the best defensive units in the conference, usually taking on the task of guarding the opposition’s best player. NIU allowed just 67.3 points per contest, second in the MAC, and opponents shot just 40 percent from the field, the lowest in the conference. Armstead is 15th in the league in rebounding, averaging 5.7 boards per game. He also recorded a steal per game.