Applicants wanted after two SA directors, trustee resign

Former Student Association student trustee

By Northern Star staff

Applications for two Student Association director positions are due today, after the resignation of the director of Academic Affairs and director of Cultural Affairs, as well as the student trustee.

The director of Academic affairs is “responsible for monitoring and making recommendations for changes in university academic policy and serving as liaison to the Faculty Senate and all student advisory committees,” according to the SA Bylaws. The position was previously held by Timi Adeboje.

The director of Cultural Affairs is “responsible for promoting a diverse campus culture by encouraging cultural programming, ensuring support services are provided to underrepresented individuals and monitoring policies that affect minorities,” according to the SA Bylaws. The position was previously held by Sergio Gutierrez.

Ari Owens, SA director of Public Affairs, said the directors resigned their positions. Neither former director responded to a request for comment.

Applications for the director positions are due by 4:30 p.m. today, according to Owens.

Students can go to niu.collegiatelink.net to apply through HuskieLink. Contact Owens at [email protected] for more information on the positions.

Student trustee Raquel Chavez, first-year law student, resigned from her position on the Board of Trustees, according to a SA news release Thursday.

The student trustee serves on the Board of Trustees, which “operate, manage, control and maintain [NIU],” according to the Board of Trustees bylaws.

Chavez served as SA vice president for the 2014-2015 academic year, then ran unopposed for the student trustee slot last spring. She ran under the Voice of Change ticket and garnered the most votes of all candidates with 2,150.

The former student trustee’s resignation comes from her desire to focus on her role as a law student at NIU, according to the news release.

The SA said it is working with the Board of Trustees to fill the vacant position.