University updates housing fees, dining

Northern Star file photo

Mobile services will take place from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center on the first floor.

By Ahyen Labanan

NIU updated students on housing, dining, and student fees in an email sent to students Tuesday by Housing and Residential Services and Campus Dining Services. Student fees have not changed, according to the email. 

Housing 

Students, including freshmen, are not required to live on campus if they feel more comfortable at home, according to the Housing FAQ. Visit the Housing website for more information. 

All students planning to live in residence halls in the fall will be assigned individual rooms, according to a June 1 Northern Star article

Students who are currently assigned to New Residence Hall or students who have a single room assignment will not be affected by room reassignments or pricing changes. These housing arrangements are already singles. 

The Holmes Student Center hotel will also be a housing option for upper division students. 

The following are rates for single occupancy rooms: $4,954 for Neptune Hall West, $5,440 for Gilbert Hall and Grant Towers, $5,404 for Stevenson Towers and $6,969 for New Hall, according to the board report. 

At Northern View, a 2 bedroom unit costs $3,860, a 3 bedroom unit costs $3,724, a single unit costs $4,500 and a 2 bedroom buyout costs $7,780. 

These rates were approved at the June 18 Board of Trustees meeting and are available here

Students can check their MyHousing account Monday at noon to see any changes to their housing. 

Students who want to change rooms upon viewing their reassignment can email [email protected] with the subject line “Room Change Request”. Housing will maintain a waiting list for each residence hall. Students who submitted housing requests earlier will be higher in the wait list. 

Monday Aug. 10 is the last day for students to cancel housing contracts penalty-free, according to the email. A fee may be applied for students who cancel contracts after Aug. 10. 

Dining 

Neptune and New Hall dining and Stevenson Retail Dining Center will be open in the fall for students with residential meal plans. Gilbert dining will not be open in the fall, according to the Campus Dining Services FAQ

Neptune, New Hall and Stevenson will open three times a day for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Between meal times, the dining areas will be sanitized and tables will be placed six feet apart. Students also have the option to take-out meals, according to the FAQ. 

Qdoba, The Grill at the Huskie Den and the Depot C-Store in the Holmes Student Center will also be open. Meal exchange hours will also be expanded, according to the email.