Jordan Less finishes fourth at Aggie Invitational

Less’ final round, three-under marks second-best score on Sunday

NIU+graduate+student+Jordan+Less+hits+driver+on+the+second+hole+Mar.+8+at+San+Diego+Country+Club+during+the+first+round+of+the+Lamkin+San+Diego+Classic.+Since+graduation+in+May%2C+Less+has+competed+in+US+Open+qualifiying+and+is+not+entering+the+first+stage+of+Korn+Ferry+Tour+Q-School+

Wes Sanderson | Northern Star

NIU graduate student Jordan Less hits driver on the second hole Mar. 8 at San Diego Country Club during the first round of the Lamkin San Diego Classic. Since graduation in May, Less has competed in US Open qualifiying and is not entering the first stage of Korn Ferry Tour Q-School

By Wes Sanderson

DeKALB — Graduate student Jordan Less took home solo-fourth at the Aggie Invitational at Traditions Golf Club in Bryan, Texas on Sunday. Less finished the 54-hole tournament with a one-under, 215. He was one shot back of Baylor University’s Luke Dossey, who held solo-third.

Less bested a field that had some of the top collegiate golfers in the country. The Aggie Invitational had 15 of Golfstat’s top-100 collegiate golfers in the field. 

“Obviously, nice to finish fourth in one of the strongest events in the country this week,” Less said. “I hit a lot of really solid golf shots this week on a course that demanded some precise distance control into the greens.” 

Less recorded a three-under, 69 during the final round, recording four birdies to one bogey. Less’ 69 was the second-best round on the course behind Texas A&M Senior, and 64th-ranked golfer, Dan Erickson, who bested Less by one with a four-under, 68.

“I was thrilled to see [Less] play great golf from hole one all the way through today’s round,” Head Coach John Carlson said.

The Huskies as a team finished 16-of-17 in the team category with top-ranked University of Oklahoma and 12th-ranked Texas A&M University tying after 54-holes forcing a playoff between the two clubs.

NIU graduate student Jordan Less watches a putt drop March 8 at San Diego Country Club in San Diego, California (Wes Sanderson| Northern Star)

The Sooners, though, could not beat the Aggies on their home course, falling in the playoff. The Sooners will now turn their attention towards its conference championship and the team’s quest to make it to Grayhawk Golf Club in Scottsdale, Arizona, for the NCAA Golf Championship.

While the Huskies finished in the bottom half of the leaderboard, a top-five finish from one of the leaders of the team gives a bit of hope heading into the final stretch of the season.

“This will go down as one of the better performances in the recent history of NIU golf,” Carlson said. “[Less] best two players were top-10 in the world. I’m thrilled to see this kind of performance from [Less] as he leads up into the championship season.” 

Less’ top-five finish could be the spark the Huskies have been looking for as the team has struggled early this season, failing to record a team finish in the top half of any leaderboard thus far in the season, but a sense of belief can go a long way down the stretch.

“I just started out the week with the belief I belong,” Less said. “I know how good my game is and how good it is at its best.”

There are just two more tournaments left for the team to fine tune their games before the MAC Championship at Sycamore Hills Golf Club in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Perhaps this individual accomplishment can push the team as a whole.

The Huskies return to the course April 17 at Finkbine Golf Club in Iowa City, Iowa, for the Hawkeye Invitational.