Student organization meets to empower young women

S.I.S.T.E.R.S is involved in community service and fundraising around campus.

Left+to+right%3A+Jordyn+Crosby%2C+Tashay+Brown%2C%0ADe%E2%80%99Aushea+Usher%2C+Amaiya+Bailey%2C+Tyler+Lawson.+S.I.S.T.E.R.S+organizations+purpose+is+to+empower+and+inspire+women.+

Courtesy of Jordyn Crosby

Left to right: Jordyn Crosby, Tashay Brown, De’Aushea Usher, Amaiya Bailey, Tyler Lawson. S.I.S.T.E.R.S organization’s purpose is to empower and inspire women.

DeKALB — The S.I.S.T.E.R.S. organization is a student organization that focuses on community service for young women. The organization is open to all female students regardless of class, race or sexuality.

This results in a very diverse organization focused on making young women feel safe and stronger in their communities through community service, community-building events, providing valuable information and a secure space to enjoy. 

“We seek to empower, uplift & inspire young women on the campus of Northern Illinois University,” reads their Instagram bio

Members of the S.I.S.T.E.R.S. organization regularly participate in fundraisers, community service and club programs around campus. Some examples include The Tribute to Black Men Fundraiser in DuSable, cleaning up Northern View with the Residence Hall Association and the trap karaoke and painting event in the Holmes Student Center. 

These different events are planned “on a daily basis,” member Jordyn Crosby said, leading to a high level of variety for what the club can do. No matter what they plan, however, everything ties back to the goal of young women improving the community we all live in at NIU. 

The S.I.S.T.E.R.S. community-based efforts culminate in the seven days of S.I.S.T.E.R.hood. 

From April 10 to 16, the S.I.S.T.E.R.S. organization “will host many events such as a resume workshop, autism awareness walk, sexual assault discussion, an informational about our organization, a cookout with games, food and music, and lastly we will have a Closed Community Service event for members only,” Crosby said. 

Crosby said students looking to join the organization have to attend an informational meeting where they will be given an application.

There will be an informational meeting in the upcoming seven days of S.I.S.T.E.R.hood which will provide a great opportunity for interested students.

Students can find the S.I.S.T.E.R.S. organization in the Holmes Student Center or on Instagram and Facebook. Instagram is where they are most active nowadays, posting updates on events and acting as a voice for the organization.