Coit nets second straight Huskie of the Week honor

Hockey captain Evans receives honorable mention

Mingda Wu

Men’s basketball sophomore guard David Coit is the first NIU student-athlete to be named the Northern Star’s Huskie of the Week for two weeks in a row. (Graphic by Harrison Linden)

By Northern Star Staff

DeKALB – Sophomore guard David Coit has become the first NIU student-athlete to gather back-to-back Northern Star Huskie of the Week honors.

Coit led the Huskies with 32 points in the Jan. 24 win over the top seeded team in the Mid-American Conference, Kent State University. He had an 8-for-14 shooting performance from field goal range that included five three-pointers. 

The Columbus, New Jersey, native followed up Tuesday’s outing with another double-digit scoring performance. Coit spearheaded the Huskies’ offensive efforts against Ball State University on Saturday with 20 points. He shot an even 50% from the field, hitting six of his 12 attempts at the net.

NIU will return to the court at 6 p.m. Tuesday for the first of back-to-back road games. The Huskies face off with Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo, Michigan, before challenging Bowling Green State University at 4 p.m. Saturday in Bowling Green, Ohio.

An honorable mention was also awarded to senior forward Rodahn Evans from NIU’s Division I hockey team. Evans totaled seven points during the Huskies’ final home series of the season against Drury University on Friday and Saturday. He netted four goals across both games.

Next week’s Huskie of the Week will be announced Feb. 6.

The Northern Star Huskie of the Week is voted for on a weekly basis. Student-athletes considered for this week’s edition were chosen based on their performance in competitions taking place from Jan. 23 to Jan. 29.