Danielle Stewart earns first career Huskie of the Week

Eddie Miller

Freshman utility player Danielle Stewart snags NIU softball’s first Huskie of the Week award of the season. Stewart’s last three pitching performances propelled the Huskies to a four-game winning streak. (Eddie Miller | Northern Star)

DeKALB – Freshman utility player Danielle Stewart’s string of dominant pitching performances helped her net NIU softball’s first Huskie of the Week honor of the 2023 season.

Stewart pitched in all three games of a weekend series against Miami University. Stewart threw complete games in games one and three of the series and recorded a save in game two.

In game one, Stewart gave up two earned runs on four hits while striking out six and walking two batters. Her complete game performance propelled the Huskies to a 3-2 win Saturday afternoon.

In game two, Stewart relieved freshman pitcher Lily Cassell in the sixth inning. Stewart allowed one run and one hit and recorded two strikeouts to end the game. Sunday’s save marked Stewart’s second of the season.

Stewart’s line in game three included two earned runs on four hits, seven strikeouts and three walks. The Huskies defeated the RedHawks 7-2 in the final game of the series and extended their win streak to four games.

Next week’s Huskie of the Week will be announced on April 3.

The Northern Star Huskie of the Week is voted for on a weekly basis. Student-athletes considered for this week’s edition were chosen based on their weekly performance in competitions taking place from March 20 to March 26.