Kaiju, dragons and bears, oh my!

Madelaine Vikse
Netflix is a familiar app and platform for many people. The streaming service platform provides a weekly top 10, displaying popular titles currently out for users to chose from. (Madelaine Vikse | Northern Star)

Looking to include adventure, romance and drama into your weekend? Are you a broke college student with limited time? Luckily, you can live vicariously from the comfort of your living room with some of these films and tv shows.

“Nobody” (PRIME VIDEO)

One of the more promising John Wick clones is the Bob Odenkirk movie “Nobody.” Odenkirk stars as a nobody who is docile and even pathetic in his family’s eyes. 

When two thieves break into his home, this nobody reveals they’re secretly an ass-kicker, going on an action spree with the final boss being the Russian mob.

While Odenkirk doesn’t have the same action reputation as Keanu Reeves, Odenkirk is no stranger to balancing suspenseful drama with sharp comedy. Coupled with Christopher Lloyd co-starring in the film, how could you not watch Saul Goodman and Doc Brown get in a shootout?

“One Piece” (NETFLIX)

Fans of the recent live action “One Piece” may want to join the crew and consider watching the anime.

“One Piece” follows Monkey D. Luffy (voiced by Mayumi Tanaka), captain of the Strawhat Pirates, and his quest is to become king of the pirates. Luffy and his crew voyage across the Grand Line, getting into dynamic battles and ridiculous hijinks, against other pirates and the world government.

For fans new and old, it can be fun watching the anime and live action versions comparing apples and tangerines.

“The Bear” SEASON 2 (HULU)

On top of the relatable humor, “The Bear” is a fantastic drama. It’s able to capture the emotional turmoil of just keeping it together from stressors like work and family. 

The series uses a dirty trick to get those in Northern Illinois to watch, playing to our inner Chicagoan. The comedy-drama of a world class chef taking on the burden of his deceased brother’s struggling restaurant is peppered with references to Chicago culture. 

Watching the first season, viewers may note how many of the characters are reminiscent of people in their own life.

“Godzilla Raids Again” (MAX)

The Godzilla franchise has come a long way from the original 1954 film. With “Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire” slated for a 2024 release, kaiju fans can get ready by looking at Godzilla’s cinematic origins. Luckily, MAX has a majority of the Toho collection in their streaming library.

The first film is famous for being brilliant commentary on the lasting impact of nuclear war on nature and society. But how does the sequel, “Godzilla Raids Again” fair? Whether you watch the movie and consider it genius or not, it has Godzilla fighting a big ankylosaurus. That’s cinema.

“The Legend of Vox Machina” SEASON 2 (PRIME VIDEO)

There are dozens of D&D podcasts, but one show that captures the chaos of a D&D party. 

The animated series comes from the minds of Critical Role, retelling its podcast’s first season of adventures. In the show’s second outing, the party clashes with the Chroma Enclave, ancient dragons that threaten to wipe out the world of Exandria.

Our heroes, the party of Vox Machina, are less heroic paragons and more a hot mess of lunatics. So, your average D&D party.

The rated R show doesn’t shy from the brutal and comical aspects of medieval fantasy. The adventures of Vox Machina will make you laugh, cry and go “holy god – was that their spine?”