Wrestling signs a 4-time South Dakota champion

By Jason Watt

The NIU wrestling team signed its first four-time high school state champion earlier this week.

Nick Smith of South Dakota won the Class A state title all four years while compiling a 145-5 record in the 125-pound weight class at Yankton High School, Yankton, S.D.

Smith is the second wrestler in South Dakota high school history to be a four-time champion.

NIU coach Dave Grant said Smith will wrestle at either 125 pounds or 133 pounds.

“He’s just the total package – great grades and great wrestler,” Grant said. “He is the most accomplished wrestler I have signed. [Two-time All-American] Scott Owen and Johnny Galloway were both three-time state champs. Our academics and our athletics were a great fit.”

MAC Tournament begins

The women’s golf team will compete in the MAC Tournament at Indian Springs, Ohio, beginning today.

Jackie Heslop leads the Huskies with an 81.9 stroke average in the spring season.

NIU also is led by a duo of sisters: Jackie and Lisa Bailey. The Bailey sisters have both taken Top 20 finishes in events this season.

Kent State won the MAC Tournament last year with a three-day total of 888. KSU claimed the title by 37 shots over second place Eastern Michigan.

Men’s golf heads to Akron

For the first time this season, the NIU men’s golf team will get a taste of the entire MAC.

The Huskies will travel to Akron, Ohio, to compete in the FirstEnergy Intercollegiate on April 23 and 24.

NIU will bring a five-man team that includes sophomores Nick Schenk and Ethan Roush and seniors Joe True, Aaron Conlon and Mike Spielmann.

Schenk has led NIU in almost every event this season and has a 73.7 stroke-per-round average, which is good for second in the MAC.

Roush has finished in the Top 10 four times this season.