Northern Star Weekend Recap: Sept. 18 – Sept. 22

Getty Images

Here are the news highlights from this week.

By Joseph Segreti, Sports Reporter

DeKALB – The top stories from the week of Sept. 18 to Sept. 22, including Tuesday’s story on a student who was struck by a vehicle in front of New Hall.

Sept. 18: El Grito launches Latino Heritage Month celebrations at NIU

Co-ed Latino fraternity Alpha Psi Lambda kicked off Latino Heritage Month with El Grito on Thursday, the annual event to support pride and independence among Latino Americans.

The event featured a new addition this year with the inclusion of a parade of students, alumni and faculty marching through campus with flags of various Latin American countries, according to the Northern Star.

Events and activities for Latino Heritage Month will be continuing all throughout September and early October.

Sept. 19: NIU Police: Student struck by vehicle near New Hall

An NIU student was struck by a vehicle near the New Residence Hall at around 12:20 p.m. on Monday.

The person who was hit by the vehicle was released from the hospital, according to Deputy Chief Jason John and the NIU Police Department. The person who was hit was not walking in a crosswalk when the incident occurred.

Sept. 20: GSRC to host Cultural Sister Summit

The Cultural Sisterhood Summit will take place on Saturday, Sept. 24 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Barsema Alumni and Visitors Center at 231 N. Annie Glidden Road.

The Cultural Sisterhood Summit aims to empower women from all backgrounds. They also aim to educate women on gender identity, femininity and intersectionality. According to the Northern Star, the program wants to connect people that are different, whether that be in their racial background or in their sexuality.

Sept. 21: Bertucci earns MAC West Defensive Player of the Week

NIU volleyball’s sophomore defensive specialist/libero Francesca Bertucci is the Mid-American Conference Defensive Player of the Week for the second week in a row, the conference announced Monday.

According to the Northern Star, Bertucci’s performance this past weekend at the NIU Invitational against the University of Rhode Island and University of Southern Indiana also earned her a spot on the all-tournament team. This was her fourth selection to an all-tournament team this season.

Bertucci currently leads the program with 197 kills and 5.63 digs per set across 10 matches. The sophomore has now earned four MAC West Defensive Player of the Week selections, as she also earned two last year.

Sept. 22: DeKalb County Health Department: COVID-19 updates, vaccination options

The DeKalb County Health Department has released a community health and COVID-19 update.

DeKalb county is currently at high levels of COVID-19 cases, according to the DCHD. The department recommends that all residents that are able to get vaccinated and to get booster shots should do so.

According to the Northern Star, the health department also recommends that DeKalb residents get their flu vaccines. Due to delays, the DCHD is currently out of stock of flu vaccines, but community members can find flu shot locations through the CDC’s vaccine website.

The DCHD is also offering assistance to residents who are applying for health insurance through the health insurance marketplace. The DCHD is also offering back-to-school immunizations.